Saturday, February 19, 2011

Afton, Wyoming

This is the first of many posts that will chronicle our trip to Yellowstone National Park. Along the way, we ran across many interesting "sidetrips" and "photostops." You can see all the photos of our whole trip when you visit my photography website. Driving through Wyoming, we passed through a town called Afton. As you drive into town the World's Largest Elkhorn Arch comes quickly into view.

The town isn't very large, and it being Sunday late afternoon, not much was open or happenning.
















Afton is located on US 89 south of Jackson. The arch gives the traveler a good reason to stop, stretch a little, and take some photos.
















On a personal note, seeing the "Afton Arch" was revisiting a special time in my life. It was the Summer of 1971 and my brother had just graduated from high school. My father thought it would be great to take a trip across the United States together. So we piled into my Dad's customized Dodge Tradesman 200 "camper" van and we saw many wonderful places including Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Niagara Falls, Washington D.C., and many more. I remember my Dad seeing the arch, in Afton, and stopping to take pictures. We read about how it was put together and it seemed pretty cool at the time. Well, all of these years later, of course that memory is more than cool... it is GOLD. I no longer have my Dad around to recollect that day, but I do have the photo... thanks, Dad.

No comments: